Taking the stylistic format of the break/s, and fueled by a highly-charged election year, this national project will engage young writers, poets and filmmakers to collaborate and create spoken word poems and short films that give voice to their views on social, cultural and political issues that are important to them.
Each occasion of this community project will be developed under the mentorship of Marc Bamuthi Joseph and the break/s collaborator and media/film artist Eli Jacobs-Fantauzzi, alongside local presenting and community partners in locations where the break/s is performed.
In addition to local screenings and public performances demonstrating the process and the products of these interactions, a vibrant national dialogue will take place on the project blog, break/sbeyondtheballot.wordpress.com
Below is a playlist of the most recent videos ::http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D7582D6FA980644C
*This program is produced by MAPP International Productions
Partners engaged in the project to date:
- The Hip Hop Theater Festival (Brooklyn, NY)
- Brooklyn Community Arts and Media High School (BCAM) (Brooklyn, NY)
- Urban Word (New York, NY)
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Youth Artists at Work (YAAW) (San Francisco, CA)
- Youth Speaks (San Francisco, CA)
- Walker Art Center, with Walker Teen Arts Council in partnership with young writers and poets from Brave New Voices (Minneapolis, MN)